Mission & History
Our Mission, Our Vision, Our Values
Providing compassionate direction to children, adults and families through counseling and education.
To build a community where the safety and well-being of all is achieved.
We believe that everyone has the right to live, learn and work in safety.
We value adherence to the highest ethical standards in everything we do.
We believe that our services should be accessible to all people in our community.
We believe in the promotion of healthy relationships.
We value optimal independence for those we serve.
From Whence We Came
The history of Compass of Carolina has its roots in efforts dating back to 1919 to assist homeless, young women. In 1919, the Girls Protective Bureau was founded and the Home at Greenacre was opened at Broad and Fall Street after a fundraising campaign netting $8,000. The purpose of this home was broadened to protect the interest of all juveniles shortly after World War I.
In 1924, this house was sold and 43 acres of land on Laurens Road, two miles from the city was acquired. A new charter for Juvenile Protective Association was granted, including the Greenacre Home for Girls. The new facility had a capacity for 26 children.
In 1927 The Juvenile Protective Association is instrumental in establishing the Children's Court of Greenville County.
In 1936, the Family Welfare Society and Juvenile Protective Bureau merged to conserve funding and share resources. On November 18, 1937, the State of South Carolina issued a charter for the Family Welfare Society of Greenville, South Carolina and what was to become our agency today came into formal existence. In its first year, the agency disbursed $3,300 in direct welfare and coordinated charities offered by local churches.
In 1940, the Family Welfare Society undertook the development of a legal aid effort utilizing volunteer services. They also employed James Edgar Smith, one of the first black social workers in S.C. to help prevent juvenile delinquency in the black community.
In 1942, the agency was granted membership in the Family Welfare Society of America.
In 1947, the Greenacre Children's Home merged with Bruner Home (Salvation Army) to become the Children's Center and a $92,000 building campaign resulted in the development of two cottages on Rutherford Road. In 1958, the Children's Home merged with the Family Welfare Society. As a result, the name was changed to Family and Children's Service of Greenville County and this agency undertook the management of the Children's Center.
In 1961 Family and Children's Service of Greenville County was granted membership in Child Welfare League of America. It developed casework, counseling, adoption and foster care services.
In 1965, the freestanding Travelers Aid Agency merged with Family and Children's Service. Subsequently, a legal name change occurred and the agency became Family Counseling Service and Travelers Aid of Greenville County, Inc.
The agency continued to run the Children's Center, but was having increasing difficulty obtaining sufficient money to adequately staff the center to handle the changing nature of its caseload. Increasingly, acting out delinquents presented severe management problems. As a result, in 1971, after considerable study by the Community Council of Greenville County, a recommendation was made that the Children's Home be closed. The home was sold and the emphasis of the agency changed to outpatient counseling and prevention services.
In 1975 adoption and foster care services were terminated by the agency.
The Consumer Credit Counseling Service was initiated by the agency in 1971. By 1989, it returned over $1,000,000 to creditors. In 1999 it returned over $4,000,000 to creditors.
In late 1978, the Women in Crisis Shelter was established with funding from the community and the Department of Social Services as a program of Family Counseling Service.
In the 1980's, the Rape Crisis Council and the Piedmont Council for the Prevention of Child Abuse were launched and then separated from the agency.
In 1985, the name of the agency was changed to Family Services, Greenville, Inc. to reflect the change in name of its affiliate organization- Family Service America.
In 1989 the name was changed to Family Counseling Center of Greenville, Inc. to differentiate the agency from DSS and state agencies.
In 1990, Traveler's Aid is terminated from the agency and given to United Ministries.
In 1993 the Family Violence Intervention and Prevention program was initiated.
During 1995 the Women's Shelter was terminated from the agency and divested to Safe Harbor, Inc. so that the Family Counseling Center could concentrate on "education, prevention and counseling."
In 1996 Family Counseling Center changed its name to Compass of Carolina with the tagline "Helping You Find Your Way". The agency continues to add services such as a representative payee program, Violence Prevention in Schools, Life Enrichment Programs and Families in Transition Seminars/Classes.
In 2000 Compass of Carolina moved its main offices to 1100 Rutherford Road.
In 2002, the Representative Payee Program began as a separate program with dedicated staff.
In 2005, Compass was certified by the EOUST to provide pre and post bankruptcy counseling.
In 2009, Compass launched the Upstate Saves initiative.